What Makes a Good Friend?

Tynesha - Evansville, Indiana

I was asked the question, “What is my greatest strength?” My response was, being a trustworthy friend. My definitely of trust is having faith or loyalty in someone or something. All through my life I have held my trust in my catholic religion, family, and friends.

It was a chilly snow stormy day in January and the bus system was the last resort if you wanted to get to class before the thirty minute mark. I had to tread through five inches of frozen water vapor in the form of white feathery flakes and crystals. My face froze as soon as the atmosphere hit it. My best friends’ hands would have become injured with extreme cold if I had not been loyal enough to give him my extra pair of gloves. The snow was falling so fast that you could stick your tongue out and catch the white feathery flakes. My friends and I walked swiftly to the buses being careful not to slip on any icebergs. When we finally reached the buses we were forced to wait patiently until everyone loaded. When we drew near the bus, the bus driver aggressively closed the door informing us to wait until the next bus. We were furious we had to stand outside with the falling snow. Luckily the next bus came in the next two minutes. When we moved to get on the bus the driver opened the door and welcomed us. When I first stepped on the bus it reeked of an unusual smell sort of like spoiled milk. The windows were carpeted with a polluted atmospheric residue. As the bus began to move the noisy students began to laugh and talk eagerly. As my stop approached I quickly pulled the string to warn the driver to stop. As I began running off the bus attempting to flee the rancid smell, the noise, and the filth of the bus; I forgot how slippery it was outside. My friends tried to remind me of the weather conditions. I jumped one step landing on a huge ice berg. I slipped, fell, and slid about three feet away from the bus. My face grew red with embarrassment. My friends rushed to see if I was okay. They helped me up. As soon as I reached my feet everyone on and off the bus grew with ridicule. When my friends chose not to laugh it made me think of how loyal they are to me. Later, of course we all had a laugh.

All through my life I did not make a good choice of friends. Now I am sure I have loyal, trustworthy friends. We hang out, party, and relax. What makes them good friends is they chose not to laugh but instead be loyal to me and my feelings. This I Believe is aspects in what makes a good friend.