The Power of Words

Kirsty - Newark, Delaware

The Power Of Words

“Sticks and stones can break my bones but words wont hurt me. These words are not hurting me, these words are not hurting me!” she repeats louder and louder in her young, innocent mind, attempting to drown out the loud scornful words. She sways back and fourth glaring at the ground trying to fight through the tears as every word her father speaks pierces her heart.

“You’re worthless, dumb, and don’t appreciate anything!” her father screams, as he stares with complete disgust at her small ten-year-old body.

Every word he spoke, even a simple word like “your” felt like a sword jabbing her thin heart.

In our society the motto “words can’t bring you down” is heavily taught. I feel as though we don’t realize how harming negative words can be, or what strong impact positive words can produce for a person. I believe in the power of words. I believe words have the ability to deeply harm, or to benefit many different aspects in ones life.

Physical injuries hurt for a while but eventually they disappear and heal. On the contrary, emotionally pain from words is an injury that can hurt and scar a person for a lifetime. The scene of a young girl explained in the beginning, is the real life experience of my good friend. To this day I can see right through her crisp baby blue eyes that she has been deeply hurt. I can tell her self-esteem, and even complete personality has been forced to alter because of her terrible experience with devastating words.

On the other side of things, words can be used to build self-esteem and can help produce an emotionally healthy human being. Anyone can see the overwhelming joy she feels as you look at her bright gleaming face. Her happiness and self-assurance has direct correlation with her father simply telling her he loves her. She feels important, secure, and proud to be loved by her daddy.

I have been very privileged to live in a home where my parents said they loved me and to be in an environment where words were used to edify and not cut me down. By growing up in this kind of surrounding, I feel as though my family’s use of positive words have helped me feel secure in myself.

Everyone can remember a time were someone said something so cruel, so rude, or so mean that it is still instilled in his or her brain. I am sure everyone can also remember a sweet word, compliment, or maybe just a simple “I love you” that has also stuck with them all their life. Words are one of the most powerful tools we as humans possess. I believe this tool needs to be tamed and used properly in order to bless someone’s life and not damage it. Sticks and stones can hurt, but words can break the most important part of the body, the heart.