This I believe

Ausitn - Salt lake city, Utah

You really think you know what you believe until you are asked to sit down and write it. I had thought that it would just come spilling out of me like a damn bursting and sending it contents into the world below. Well it didn’t. But after some browsing through others essays I guess I found my inspiration and got my head clear so that I can provide for you an essay on what I believe to be true in this world, and what I live my life by. So this I believe……..

I believe in simplicity and necessity. I believe that our vanity will be the down fall of our world as we know it. From the synthetic materials that we produce for fashion, to the destruction of millions of acres of land for housing. We are all guilty, especially those of us in industrialized countries. Our lust for material goods and our “bigger is better” attitude is our Achilles heel. I may not have destroyed the rainforest with my own hands but I am sure I did my part by using products that came as a result of the destruction of it.

I also believe that global warming is real, and our cars are just one of the things most likely to blame for it. Don’t let Big Business or Big Oil tell you that that is wrong. Don’t let them skew your perceptions of what is happening here. They are just backed into a corner, that is why they are screaming FAKE! They turn record profits and hoard the money like a bunch of selfish swine, while the world is poisoned by their greed and toxic pollution. Why can’t we all just be smart and logical about all of this and work our butts off trying to develop new ways of doing things that are healthy for the environment, or at least things that have no affect. Everything is affected here from the food you and your kids eat to the air you breath and the water you drink. Everything in this world works on cycles, so the poison is likely to be in everything. In the end even if we are wrong and the climate change is not due to the CO2 emissions, we are still poisoning our selves and more important our kids. That car you used today to drive you son to soccer practice so that he would stay active and healthy, is part of the problem too. It may be a small piece of the puzzle but it is still a contributor. This is not a call to abandon your cars (even if I think that they are not really necessary) though, it is a call to demand better technology at a price we all can afford. Some of the solutions to our problems are simply common sense, and some require a little imagination. If we all just go that extra mile and work a little harder, try to be a little more conscious of how we live our lives, we can all make a difference on a serious issue. This one is not just some game, this could be the end of the world as we know it. That means possibly us, but certainly our kids and likely our entire species. Not to mention all of the other species that would be affected by such a drastic climate change.

In the end we are all responsible here and share equally in the guilt. We as North Americans act as if we are to subdue and to control the earth as if it belonged to us. On the contrary, we were all birthed for this planet that we inhabit and that means it owns us. This is what I believe.