This I believe

Mona - Utah

This I believe essay

There are lots of problems in the world, such as war, racism, violence, etc. One of the problems that captured my attention is about religions. As everyone knows there are lots of religions in the world, such as Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, and Baha’i. My belief is that everyone must have his/her religious freedom.

You may think that we are in America and we have freedom in everything; that is right, but I am talking about the Middle East and developing countries. There are lots of people who don’t have freedom in their religious lives in these countries. For example, in Iran the government bothers Baha’i people, arrests them, and even executes them. There is nobody to stop these harsh situations. There are other people around the globe who have similar problems in their countries.

There was a Baha’i girl whose name was Mona Mahmudy. She was only 17 years old. The government executed her because she was Baha’i, and she would not give up her religious beliefs. Another story is about me. I am a Baha’i person who lived under some of these situations. I grew up in Iran, but I wasn’t allowed to go to college or university or even get a good job. If I could get a job, it would be a menial job, and all of this was because I was just Baha’i and I was in the minority. There are lots of other people whose religion is in the minority, and the people in majority religion don’t let them be free.

Let’s think about these situations. Let’s find a solution for them. Some of these developing countries make their laws based on the majority religion’s beliefs. I think they must separate religion from politics; otherwise, the minority is in trouble. I hope someday these situations will be changed, and all people in this world will be free in their belief. Let’s try not to cause discrimination for our brothers and sisters, and let’s help others who really need our help.