This I believe

Vanessa - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe that coloring in coloring books is therapeutic. I am 24 years old and I still color in little kids coloring books. Some people can sit down and paint or draw priceless pieces of art. But for those of us who aren’t the next Salvador Dali, there’s coloring books to help get us by.

Have you ever had such a horribly stressful day at work? Or your mother won’t stop yelling at you for never visiting her anymore? Well I have!! I’ve tried reading the newspaper or a magazine clipping and nothing ever seemed to do the trick quite like coloring in a coloring book with my pajamas on.

The waxy crayons, the fun kid-friendly coloring books, just the whole idea behind it have made it fun and relaxing. I’ll have such a hard day at work at the Hospital and my brain will be so tired that if I tried reading the words wouldn’t make sense, but the coloring book will still make sense. The coloring book always makes sense, even if I have stayed up all night long at work. You can color outside of the lines, shade, use the wrong color and you’ll still feel much better after you are done than when you started. Sometimes, I’ll color one arm blue and the other red. And maybe I’ll color hair a fun bright Orange color just for a little diversity.

When I was a little girl, I would have contests with my friends on who colored the prettiest picture. But you had to always color inside of the lines otherwise the rules of our game said that you were disqualified. This is how I learned to line the inside of my pictures. And then from there, I learned how to shade inside of objects and then how to mix colors. Even though, from what I have learned, I wouldn’t recommend mixing waxing crayons because they don’t blend that well. But colored pencils sure do!

All of this has been quite an adventure. I can completely lose myself inside of a book and only feel accomplished after I have completely finished the entire book. Unlike most people, I will even color the pages that I don’t like. Why? Because coloring inside of coloring books is therapeutic and I encourage everyone to go out and by a little pack of Crayola crayons and a new coloring book today!