I Believe In Children

Jessica - salt lake city, Utah

I believe that children are the best therapists. One year ago, I was in a sticky place in life. My father committed suicide 3 years prior, and my mother just lost a heart shattering battle to cancer. I felt stuck inside my life, with no cure for my pain. At the suggestion of a family friend, I took a job working with special needs children at a pre school level. My first day, I met children who, in their short lives had suffered more than I ever will. They were struggling with Autism, Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, and other physical and mental challenges that were beyond my comprehension. Yet, these children were laughing, playing and loving like any other kids at their age. They had been given these extreme trials, and they owned them. They immediately became the family that I needed. They hugged me, they held me and they taught me to play. They taught me to laugh and to feel a happiness that I had not felt since my losses. These beautiful children taught me the lessons that no therapist ever could. I learned from my Autistic friends that sometimes you feel trapped in your own mind. They taught me to communicate in other ways. My Down Syndrome friends taught me that if nothing else, use your charm and you will get along just fine. My physically challenged friends taught me that sometimes, if you cannot walk, you just crawl until it becomes easier to stand on your own two feet.These children have healed my soul and brought me an immense happiness. I am so grateful for their lessons, and am in the process of making it my career to play with them. The secret is, if everyone had friends like these children, psychiatrists would be out of business.