If We Only Acted The Way We Were Designed

Conrad - St Davids, Pennsylvania

I remember reading something by C.S Lewis which said “The kind of people we are is more important than what we can do to improve the world; indeed, being the kind of people we should and can be is the best and sometimes the only way to improve the world.” In fact now that I think of it I can recall more than one instance when I have driven past someone stopped on the side of the road in need of assistance and have walked past a person who fell down saying to myself, “Someone will help them. It’ll be fine.” When, in actuality we should be the people Lewis urges us to be, and act the way we should instead of being as selfish beings. I know it sounds a little harsh but I believe that if we do act the way we were designed to act the world would be a much better place. I personally have had some opportunities to actually help people in that sense but often I do catch myself still thinking about my personal wants over other peoples needs.

There was one time when I was with my youth group while worshiping on a retreat. The lights were low and the students’ voices rang out in the night. As I looked across the room I saw one of my best friends, Rick, looking very distracted. His face was blank and had no emotion. In that instant I felt a tug at my heart strings to go across the room to comfort him. And with a hug he broke out into tears. It seemed like that was all needed at the point in time. Just someone to confide in him. Just someone to be there for him when he was most vulnerable. It was almost too simple. I know that I myself had to let down my guard, but it was more than worth it seeing that I can fulfill someone’s need for comfort or for assistance.

The action of making someone else’s day better by just doing the little things is something that can feel amazing for both parties. For the recipient, they know that someone is thinking and caring about how they are, and for the giver the feeling service is a very humbling and very joyous feeling to have. You probably wouldn’t think so at first but it is a feeling that if it’s felt you can’t mistake it for anything else.

So next time you see an opportunity to make the world a better place one person at a time take it, pay It forward, and when you get blessed by someone spread it around to others.