I believe that love always wins

Chelsea - St. Davids Pa, Pennsylvania

I Believe that Love Always Wins

As a Christian I believe that Christ endured the hardships of this world and suffered more than most of us ever will. He was denied by his followers and mocked by others. Ultimately He took on the sin of the world and died, only to rise again. Even after all of this He never struck back or sought revenge, instead He showed love and mercy. This is an example of how we are to act. I believe that in every situation we are to overshadow hate with love. We are to have patience and kindness towards our neighbors and enemies. I believe that love always wins.

In the Bible one of Jesus’ greatest commandments is to love your neighbor and to love your enemies. Loving your neighbor can be easy, but loving your enemies is a whole other concept. It is hard to love those who are hurtful and ignorant towards us, those who we see as “unlovable”. But I have learned that when you love someone unconditionally the anger in the situation is overpowered, it is caught off guard. Love can stop your enemies dead in their tracks. Someone who is angered with you is ready for a fight. They expect your retaliation. Sheer shock is all they’ll have if you return to them with love. Love wins without a fight.

We are to love by our actions and the way we handle situations. It is not always easy but it is worth the reward in the end. When I was a senior in high school, one of my best friends decided that she did not have time for me anymore. She told me she did not want to have anything to do with me. This was a devastating life changing experience for me; I was crushed. When I would walk down the crowded hallways and see her at school she would turn away and act as if I were not there. She ignored me completely. For a long time I wanted so badly to get revenge and to hurt her like she had hurt me. But after I went to my youth pastor for advice and spent time in prayer I was able to cope with the situation. His main advice was to love her, no matter what, even though it was hard.

After a couple months I was really able to fully love and forgive her, and I believe that that is only because of the grace of God. I wrote her a letter saying how much her friendship had meant to me and now when I see her I smile and wave. She did not know how to react, she was blown away. Our relationship will never be what it was, but that is okay. Ever since I was able to love her, a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. So I believe that in every situation we are to love people and to show them that love always wins.