Living Life to the Fullest

Elizabeth - Souderton, Pennsylvania
Themes: carpe diem

My eyes were shut as the cool, crisp summer breeze brushed against my face. My feet sunk even deeper into the moist sand, as the luke warm water came rushing past my ankles. The smell of the salty seawater traveled up my nose, and the rays of the sun penetrated into my body and worked their way into my soul. I felt alive, and a sense of purpose. I came to realize that life is short, and nothing should hold us back from living “happily ever after”. I believe we should live life to the fullest by letting every experience be a lesson learned.

The only way we can learn is by taking a risk, and learning from our failures. When I make a decision, it may not always be the right one at that moment in time. I find myself getting caught up in the mistake I made by putting all my energy into fretting about it. This practice hinders everyone of the overall learning process. Society places such importance on education that we can’t forget to include learning life lessons and not just statistics from a textbook. When doubt comes into the scene, commitment flies out the window.

If regret is present we praise our mistakes, instead of glorifying the lessons that come from them. The pessimistic view is a trap that is hard to avoid, and we are all guilty of it at one point in time or another.

I remember what it feels like to live with the tension of regret hanging over my shoulders, and let me say, it’s not fun. Like every student when it comes to my education I want to do well. One time in high school I had stayed up all night to study for a history exam. I got a couple hours of sleep, and rushed out of the house the next day. I rubbed my eyes as I stumbled into my seat and got my stuff together for the exam. While I was taking this exam, all of the dates, and names were getting jumbled up in my head. I walked out of the room when the test was finished with my head hanging low. When I received the grade back, well, lets just say I wasn’t a happy camper. I regretted only giving myself a couple hours to rest, I knew that before a test sleep was the most important thing for my body. Then one day I realized that instead of dwelling on what I did and didn’t do, I should have a more positive outlook. I used the lesson I learned for my next test. I managed my time better, got my studying accomplished, and had plenty of sleep. A smile crept across my face when I received that test back and saw my grade. I took my mistake, and learned from it and made the most out of my life experience.