Benefits of a Sister

Allison - Bryant, Iowa

When I turned eleven years old, I knew that having a little sister would benefit me in great ways. Right before my eleventh birthday, my sister, Molly, was born. I had always wanted a little sister. I even got so serious about having a little sister, that I began wishing on stars and praying to God. Finally, my mom sat my older sister and me down and told us she was expecting! I was ecstatic; my dream was finally coming true.

Seven years later, I understand the importance and responsibilities of having a child. My first role as ‘big sister’ was the babysitter. My parents trusted me to take care of my sister while they were gone. They trusted that I would feed her, change her diapers, and make sure she got one nap during the day. Being only eleven when Molly was born, I never had much babysitting experience. This was my first real responsibility. It made me feel like an adult.

While babysitting my sister, I learned a lot. Patience was one of the most important lessons. There would be times when she would cry and cry. I would try everything to make her stop; I would play with her toys, give her a bottle, and change her diaper. This became very frustrating, but I learned that she was baby, and babies do that. Another lesson I learned from Molly is that sisters bring so much joy to your life. I remember when she was developing a personality. She would smile and giggle; this always delighted me.

Molly is now a first grader. She is the smartest kid I have ever met, and I would like to take some of the credit for that. She is also, at times, mouthy; my mom lets me take the credit for this too.

Over the years, I have noticed a change in Molly’s personality. She went from being the big pest who always wanted attention to being a somewhat smaller pest who just wants company. It means the world to her just being around me. I am also getting older; I am not home as much, I have a job, a social life, and have now begun searching for the perfect college.

As my time at home becomes shorter, it has finally begun to hit me how much I will truly miss Molly. She is always there when I need a lift during the day. Moving away from her will be a huge shock.

As you can see, my little sister has influenced my life a lot. She has helped me mature in ways that people without a younger sibling cannot, and she will continue doing this for me until I have children of my own. Although we have had our differences, like age, Molly will always be one of my closest friends.