I Believe Sports Help in Life

Derek - Clinton, Iowa

I Believe Sports Help in Life

I believe that many of life’s needed characteristics are gained through sports, like using hard work, trust, and responsibility. I say this because during football I learned how to take on responsibility and how to communicate effectively with others. The responsibility part came from my coaches, especially from my high school coach. Responsibility was first brought to us in practices by having everyone pick up after practices, not just the freshmen. During pick up, we had to put away the blocking dummies and pick up the footballs from practice. Next, it came during games by being where you must be on the field. If you are not, the other team has a chance at a big gain. Responsibility is not only used in the game of football. It is also in the classroom when doing homework and to gain trust from others. If you aren’t responsible it will be hard to make friends because people can not count on what you say you will do.

The communication part came later on in football. I was selected co-captain of the team my senior year. I had to start being able to communicate with teammates to help sort out arguments that would occur between them during practice or games. I also had to tell them what is expected of them during practices and games. Communication is also important off of the football field. Once you get a job you will have to know how to communicate effectively with your co-workers to get things done successfully.

I also had to learn to “push” teammates in practice to become better. By “pushing” I mean using constructive criticism to get them to work harder during drills. During the practices you learn to accept constructive criticism from coaches. This is very important because it teaches you that when people try to correct you it isn’t just to “show you up,” but to help you know what went wrong. Like when the coaches were trying to teach me to read screens they would constantly just pick out everything I did wrong on plays, just to make me improve my on field performance.

In high school I learned what hard work truly was and what it does for you. I had lifting three times a week during the spring and summer months. Then once football practices came around there was only more hard work on the field, including conditioning and drills. At times there were days you wanted to quit after tough workouts. Yet, you never did because you knew it was making you better. This is useful for me in life because it taught me that when life starts to get tough, I can’t just quit, I have to keep going one day at a time.

By using responsibility, trust, and hard work that I learned in sports, I feel that I have become a better person in the classroom and work setting. This is why I believe sports help you in life.