Determination + Dedication = Success

Charlie - Miles, Iowa

In life there are things that you have to overcome and work through. They may be little things or life changing experiences. I believe though, if you work your hardest, are determined to get done, and are dedicated, you will succeed. There are so many things that can come in the way of success and make you want to give up. When you’ve worked so hard to keep them weeds out of that corn field, then a horrible summer thunderstorm comes and blows the whole field flat; things like this can make you just plain sick to your stomach.

Through out my life I have worked by my dad’s side. Following him everywhere, helping him with the daily chores, and copying every step he made. There are times on a farm that problems arise that are unbelievable to think that you will be able to overcome. There are things that most nonfarm people wouldn’t even think of trying. What would you do if at the beginning of every year you didn’t know if you would be farming the next year or not? Not able to know if you will get a crop or if the cattle prices will stay high.

Within the farming industry there are very few guarantees that you will succeed at what you’re doing. Being the good man that my father is, he is smart at what he does, and tries to not to be too greedy when making those important decisions. When the prices of crops are going up, selling periodically is better than waiting for the top dollar and not being able to get a good price when the market crashes in a day.

Working hard, and getting the most out of everything helps lessen the risk. Before you take the plunge into the years start you have to have the good attitude that you will achieve the goals that you’ve set. Being determined and always try to make the best of what you’ve got. By using what you do have and not going and buying all the new things you really want or what your neighbor has, can make you more money in the long run, and give you that sense of pride for doing so.

Farm life is all about this aspect of success. If you can be dedicated at what you do you will have no problem at seeing your success. Who really wants to get up at three in the morning to check cows that are close to calving? Would you want to be out in -20 degree weather unthawing waters? This is what has to be done and what my dad may do on a winter’s day. During the summer there’s always the fun job of mowing hay when its 90 degrees plus in the sun. Nobody wants to be up there in that mow all day sweating with all that dust. I know for a fact that most people would rather like to be in the air conditioned watching television, but like all the other hectic farm jobs, it has to be done.

Success; there are many ways of achieving it, but I believe that by working hard, and being determined that you will achieve it and being dedicated at what you are trying to do, you will have the greatest chance of having success.