My Mother

Rebecca - Bryant, Iowa
Themes: illness

My Mother

She wakes up every morning, a smile on her face, thinking about the day’s activities. Nothing can bring her down; not a worry on her mind. To work she goes, not a problem in the way, just living her life to the fullest. What could be her biggest problem sits in the back of her head, but never comes to the surface until April of 2007.

My mom had gone to the doctor to get a mole removed off her back. It was large, like a nickel, and black in color. It was not normal. The mole was sent to several different hospitals to be checked. My mom learned she had stage four melanoma-skin cancer on a scale to five. She underwent treatment immediately at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, where five lymph nodes were removed and she had stitches across her back that looked like a horizontal football stitching. I was scared for my mom, but did everything to help out. Every few hours I would clean out the stitches with peroxide, and change the bandaging. My mother gets checked every three months since this has happened.

After seven months, the doctors say she is clear from the melanoma. However, my mom is still having complications with other areas of her body. More tests are being done to determine if it’s cancer or just a tumor. Waiting for the results is one of the most stressful times ever. You pray that they come back negative, but then you also have to think of what needs to be done if they are positive. We have all talked about this. As a family, we decided to do anything it takes to keep her well. My family and I do not worry as much though, because we know that mom will do whatever she can to live.

We may fight all the time about what time I should be home and about how I should clean my room, because that is what mothers and daughters do, but I will never forget the feeling of knowing that I had almost lost my mom. I believe in her for staying strong, and for getting her treatment. My mom will fight whatever battle it takes just so she will not have to leave her family.

I believe my mother is STRONG. Her experiences fighting melanoma has showed me this. Instead of worrying about things, she keeps going with her life and acts as nothing has ever gone wrong. We have our ups and downs everyday, but we always look forward to spending the next day together because at any moment anything could happen. Together, my mother and I enjoy watching our favorite television show Friday Night Lights, and also enjoy going to the mall and shopping at Body Central and New York & Company. We love each other very much, and have spent a lot of time enjoying the good things in life instead of worrying about the bad.