I Can Make It Through

Jamie - Goose Lake, Iowa

When something bad happens, do you feel that there is no way you can get back to living? Well when I was four, my parents got a divorce. My mom took my sisters and I to go live with the guy she was seeing at the time. I really missed my daddy. My sisters are younger than me so they asked me a lot of questions all the time and asked mom when she was going back to dad, they really didn’t know. I remember that I cried at night, just out of the blue, I started crying and it was uncontrollable. I slept on a wet pillow every night. That’s how I coped with it at the time. Every other weekend we would go to dad’s, and I would always be by his side when he worked on his truck, I was right by him. When he cooked, I helped by stirring the food. When he would sit on the couch and watch T.V, I cuddled up next to him, and I always fell asleep on his lap.

Then one day, just out of the blue, my mom wanted to get back with my dad. I was so happy, but yet confused. It was almost like a dream come true. Mom and dad got back together and we all lived together again. About four or five years passed and then out of no where, my mom and dad decided to get married again! My sisters and I were so happy! They got married in October of 2000, my sisters, me, my cousins and my aunt were all in the wedding, and it was the happiest time of my life! I cried through the whole thing, happy tears of course.

Years passed and we were all happy, I was doing well in school again and I was happy all the time. We moved and we were happy for about three and half years, then once again my parents got another divorce! My mom, once again, took my sisters and I had to go live with the guy she was seeing at the time.

I thought that I would always be depressed and upset, but I have actually been okay. I have the greatest friends in the world to help me talk about it and get out what I’m feeling. I draw, write, and cry sometimes when I feel upset, but lately I haven’t drawn or written anything to express my feelings and emotions, so I think I’m getting better about the whole thing.

So I am saying that I believe I can make it through, either through tears, drawings, or poems. I can get back to life. I don’t want to say that my life is horrible or the worst ever, because I know there are people and families out there who have gone through a lot more than me, and at the same time they have ways to get back to their lives.