Hard Work

Michael - Bryant, Iowa
Themes: work

HARDWORK

I believe in working hard. My Dad always told me, “Work first, Play later!” To this day I always repeat this over and over in my head before I use my free time to go out with my friends or ride my ATV. I always think to myself, “what jobs have to be done”, like taking the garbage out or mowing the lawn, and when that job has to be done by, like today or tomorrow or maybe next week. If these reasons are not enough to persuade me to do the work over the play, I just think about what will happen if the jobs are not completed, like getting grounded.

Every weekend, or anytime I am not at school or studying, I am usually working on my Uncle’s farm. There I work from before dawn to after dark just feeding livestock, hauling manure, and baling hay. I do not do this for the money, but more so for the sense of pride and self-satisfaction that it leaves inside of me when the days work is done. On the farm the only way to earn respect from the others is to work hard. If you are not working hard, nobody is going to respect you because nobody likes a slacker. Slackers get the same credit as others for doing less work than them; it’s not fair.

Working hard takes a lot of effort; it is not easy. It takes time, but when the job is done it leaves me with a sense of relief and relaxation that I cannot get from anything else. It makes me feel like I have made a difference in the world, like I have contributed to the steady flow of the economy.

I do not work all the time. When all of the chores are done, that is when I start to have fun. I go to parties to hang out with my friends after the hard days work. My friends and I go bowling and have bonfires into the late hours of the night. But when it starts getting too late, I always remember another thing that my Dad told me, “You can stay out as long as you want, but you WILL be getting up before the sun, and you WILL go to work the next day!” These words always cause me to be smart, and to be home at a reasonable time for the next day’s work.

I believe in working hard because it has never steered me wrong yet. I work hard at everything I do, and I always get my work done before I even think about playing around. This concept will follow me throughout my entire life, and cause me to be successful in almost everything that I do.