Dangerous Jobs

Isaac - Charlotte, Iowa
Themes: nature, work

Dangerous Jobs

I believe that one of the most dangerous jobs if farming because we spend all day around heavy equipment and moving parts. Everyday we risk our limbs and our lives just to make ends meat.

Some one is trying to pass a law that gives farmers money when they have a bad year. Now id like to meat this person and ask him how he’ll survive without ethanol, corn and soybean products, bio diesel, meat, and other things. I hope he enjoys buying his six dollar gas and his twenty dollar steaks. The reason we need that government money is so we can survive and make it another year. We aren’t salaried like other people all the money we have goes right in the farm account for maintenance and buying seed, cattle, feed, and other essentials, so I’m sorry if the government helps us put food on your table.

Some things about farming are fun like taking care of baby calves and knowing that you’re making a difference to that animal. They are smarter then you think, some of them figure out how to open gates and steal your stuff when you’re not looking. If you spend enough time with them they will get used to people and trust them enough to let you pet them.

Farming has its ups and downs, you may think your going to have a good day but just then you break a belt on the feeder wagon or you run a post through the combine head, and so then you exchange a few words with god and go on your day fixing that and other things that need to be fixed.

Another danger is applying anhydrous because it’s very flammable and if you get any on you it burns to the touch. We pull the tanks behind a toolbar on very steep hills and valleys with a risk of rolling them.

Planting is another danger because we plant on steep hills and we have to pull them on the roads with people who don’t get over when were coming down the road.