I Believe that People Sell God

Kelsey - Millersville, Maryland
Themes: Christianity

Joe, the head honcho of Young Life, a Christian High School Organization, asks me and the rest of the leaders how our “camp sell” is going. All of us leaders are hoping that many kids to come camp so that some of them will become Christian. At camp Jesus’ life story is shared with everyone who goes, and many young people become Christians over this trip. Young Life, which runs the camp, is a club that tries to teach high school students about Jesus so that they may be converted into Christianity. There is a weekly club that consists of skits and activities and a short Bible message. I believe that Christians sometimes get carried away with trying to convert people into Christianity, to a point where it seems like Jesus is being sold.

I started to attend Young Life’s weekly club as a junior in high school. My third time ever being at club took place in the white walled, brown carpeted basement of an upperclassmen that I hadn’t even met. The tall, dorky, middle aged leader called my name along with many others up to the front to play a game. My heart raced and I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks. I walked up to the front hoping my underwear wasn’t showing because I just stood from sitting on the floor. I was partnered with the creep of my high school, Pete, to eat an apple that was hanging off a string in the air without hands. Next, Pete and I were blindfolded. Being a well liked high school girl, I loved the attention from the group of kids, cheering and teasing of my friends as Pete and I almost kissed several times while eating the apple. The excitement of the loud cheers in a cramped basement of friends had me coming to club every week.

I was not going to club to hear about Jesus. That was just something additional to the games and fun socializing. I later realized that Young Life’s purpose is to draw in kids so they can hear about Jesus. The games and fun are just ways that a Christian club can attract kids other than the youth group, Bible-quoting Jesus freaks.

I have heard a saying that Christians are just beggars that have found food, and want to tell other beggars where to find food. This means that Christians like me have found something in Jesus that has satisfied us so much that we want to share Him with others. I believe that if a Christian’s heart in sharing their beliefs is to allow others to share joy they have received from faith, it is acceptable to present their religion in an attractive way. I’m leading Young Life now, trying to get students to come to club week after week and to camp so that the high school students I have met can become Christians. I have something so wonderful in Jesus that I want to share.