Bosses should exhibit a professional behavior

Kalisha - Louisville, Kentucky
Themes: injustice

I believe in a code of conduct that should be exhibited between the relationship of employees and their employers. Employees are responsible performing only job-related tasks. Bosses should effectively communicate with their employees, not ask their staff to perform non-related job duties and staff favoritism also should not be expressed at all.

In my situation, I left a job that I really loved because I believe my boss did not do these things. I worked for a small doctors office with only 2 other employees.

Favoritism began after a girl, who portrayed herself as the epitome of perfection, was hired. My boss loved her and it became very apparent that he began to favor her. He bragged about her to the patients, cried at her wedding, allowed her every Saturday off while I had to work and even gave her 2 going away bonuses when she left to pursue her career after getting her second master’s degree.

I, on the other hand, would run into situations where I would see him out in public and he wouldn’t acknowledge me. I had a vacation planned, told him 2 months in advance and he told me that wasn’t a good time for me to take one and to change it. When that co-worker left, I admit, I was relieved. The job was less stressful for me. Then I learned he convinced her to come back because she failed her boards and lost her job and found a stupid reason to fire the girl who had replaced her.

When his wife filed for divorce, I knew things were going to get worse at the job. He had the other girls do his personal errands like taking his 19 year old son to school, taking care of his personal matters and writing checks for his personal bills. And for Christmas, we didn’t get our usual bonus nor did we get a card or a “Merry Christmas”.

Another thing I found inappropriate is he would discuss his divorce situation and boast about his drunken escapades at bars with women.

I felt that I didn’t cause problems at the job, I was there everyday, never called in sick the whole seven years of working. I was polite to the patients, quiet and to myself. When I put my two weeks notice in, my boss didn’t even care that I was leaving. He called all the employees to discuss it with them but not with me. He even told one employee that I won’t make as much as he paid me. Guess because I’m not perfect with 2 masters degrees like some. And do you think I got a going away bonus? Honestly, I was not trying to make friends with my boss and do his personal errands and I feel I was punished for that.