You can count on me

Mia - San Diego, California

You can count on me

I believe in being a dependable person. I think that this is the most important characteristic anyone can have. To me this means you are trustworthy and respectful. I truly believe in the saying, “Do unto others…” Dependability is all about attitude. It is about a sense of pride you have for yourself, your work, and those around you. Dependability is a choice that everyone has.

I have been in the same line of work as a makeup artist for six years now, and during this time I have really become aware of how important it is to come in on time. A lot of my work is dependent upon appointments; therefore if one person is sick or late the rest of us will have to shuffle our schedules around to accommodate more clients. Most women only get a makeover for a very special occasion such as a wedding. Due to that fact, I have more than doubled my client base because I am reliable and can be trusted to show up on time. I have always been taught to have pride in what ever it is that I am doing whether it is in work, school or my social activities. This sense of pride has always driven me to do my best at being responsible person, and has helped shape my character.

I strive to be that person who is never a burden or a let down. I can be proud to say that I have never called out sick to work. This has paid off for me. I have earned paid days off, special discounts at work, and I have received many promotions. I would say that above all of that, I have earned my co-workers respect.

I believe that dependability not only means showing up to work on time, but also translates to every other aspect of life. Dependability is being there when a friend needs to talk. Dependability is remembering to send a card to grandma just because. Dependability is offering a friend a ride to the airport before they ask. Six of my friends have told me that they put me down as their emergency contact for work or school because they can rely on me to be there for them. I think that the greatest complement of all is earning someone’s trust.

I often hear people making excuses for being flaky. Work, school, kids…Well I too work full time, go to school full time, go to the gym, and take care of my dog. Yet I still find time to stick to my other commitments. Life is full of commitments, but it is also how you perceive those commitments. I believe that being a dependable person ultimately means that you are able to give yourself whole heartedly in whatever it is you are doing and that you can take pride in what you have accomplished.