A Simple Dream to Live

Tyler - san jose, California
Themes: hope

I believe that dreams do come true. That no matter what it is that you want, if you work hard enough for it, you can have it. As a kid I hadn’t learned the limits of what I could achieve. I’m a dreamer and a believer. I listen to learn, speak to teach, and show to make believe that dreams do come true.

I was four years old when I started dreaming big. I first told my mother that I would never get older, yet I did. Even though I was wrong, I still believed. I remember waking up one morning to the delightful thought of opening a new box of Lucky Charms cereal. At the time, the cereal box contained one of seven collectable coins displaying a popular monument with the name of the city underneath. I was very excited to see what I would get. Unfortunately, my brother got to the coin before I could. He opened the box and pulled out a big round blue coin. On the back was a picture of the Eiffel Tower with the word “Paris” below it. I swiftly prepared myself to fight my brother for it. After losing the fight and then crying to my mother, I finally got that blue coin. I’ve always loved France, even before I knew what it really was. Holding that coin in my hand, I promised myself that if I ever got the opportunity to go, I’d take the chance in an instant. I showed my mother the coin and told her that one day I was “gonna go there”. My mother just smiled at me.

As I grew up, I listened to others and tried to determine if what I wanted was possible. When I decided that it didn’t matter what others thought, I told everyone my plans to go to France. I wanted others to dream as big as I do. When I was sixteen, I got my chance to show everyone that I was right. I left for a year to pursue my dream of living in France and immersing myself into their culture. I accomplished the most important thing I wanted even when everyone doubted that I could do it so early in my life. I proved them all wrong, I lived my dreams.

I believe because it’s true. I’m not just a dreamer anymore, I’ve learned to turn my dreams into my reality despite what anybody says to discourage me. I really believe that people can live their dreams, they just have to believe and work hard toward their goals. People can believe what they want, but I believe that dreams do come true.