The Strength of an Individual

Ashley - Austin, Texas
Themes: death, setbacks

I believe…

What do I believe? As I was struggling to answer this question I thought about my life as it has been so far, and I thought, “Wow, although some pretty devastating things have happened, I am hanging on fairly well.” And then I found my answer: I believe in the strength of an individual. I believe that one person can overcome things in life with a little perseverance and inner strength. I base this belief on my own life and the life of others close to me.

As a pretty mainstream seven year old my life seemed pretty wonderful, although I probably did not think about it that much. I would have never seen it coming that one-day when I came home from school, I was told by my father that my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer. As I struggled to keep living with a sick mother and going in and out of hospitals, I always kept a flame burning inside of me with the strength to live fully in it.

Two years later, as a not so mainstream nine year old my mother passed away. Every day after she passed away, I was unsure how I could keep living without my mother. I found that answer inside of me, and I did keep living. I believe that even though my life was changed forever, I overcame of my troubles because of the strength I have inside of me. I believe that the reason I am a 14 year old living a pretty good life is because I used a gift that everyone is given: the gift of strength. Whether we choose to use that gift is a choice we all must make, but I believe that we all have it inside.

My example of inner strength in someone else’s life came to me quickly when thinking of this topic. I thought of one of my very good friends whose parents are divorced. Her parents divorced when she was 10 years old and for 4 years now she has had to switch houses spontaneously and deal with her household being split. I believe that she has been able to go through her traumatic experience and is still able to go through it because she used the strength that is inside her, and she never stopped using it.

Although my story and hers are different situations, we are both in this world, and doing ok because we were/are able to pull out our individual strength from inside of us and get through hard times in our lives. I hope that everyone in the world no matter what the situation is, and no matter who the person is, will use their inner strength to get through a difficult situation some time in their life. I wish this because our strength inside is a life saving thing, and it teaches people that they have the power to live through anything just by using their inner strength.