The Weapon We Have Is Love

Chelsea - Darien, Illinois

I first fell in love with the Harry Potter books when I was eight. At first, I liked them because they were full of excitement and adventure, with characters that I loved and could relate to, even if I was stuck in the Muggle world, and they were wizards. But as I got older and more involved with the Harry Potter fandom, I started seeing past the tales of magic, and into the hearts of the characters and the story itself. I saw that the main theme of the stories was simply love.

I strongly believe in the power of love. In Harry’s world, evil was defeated because of this power. At the end of Harry’s ultimate adventure, his mother’s love is what kept him alive. Love for his friends, and for the families that have cared for him as if he was their own son is what keeps him going, even in the toughest of times. Harry has also been let down by love. He suffered through the deaths of the people he loves most, including his parents, his godfather, his mentor, and many of his friends. Still, Harry continues to love. This is his strength.

This, I believe, is the strength of many people, though they may not realize it. The strength to keep loving, even when you feel you have nothing left, is something that can save many people. This strength is what makes Harry so radically different from his evil enemy, Voldemort. Love is the main strength that keeps many people going. They will go to extremes to stand up for, and protect the people and the things they love. The love in a young child’s life will shape the life they will have as an adult. Love brings people back when they have nothing else to live for. When you truly love something or someone, it consumes you, and there are no words to describe the feeling. That kind of love can change the world.

I have a deep love for Harry Potter; for the people I’ve met through my travels with Harry, for the entire fandom, and for the books that have been with me for the majority of my life. The Harry Potter universe is one I can escape to, when the “real” world is giving me a headache. The themes of Harry Potter have shaped many of my own beliefs and ideas. The overwhelming power of love throughout the series has shown me what love can do, and how lucky I am to have so much love in life. Without the love of my family and friends, and the love I have for my life as a whole, my entire outlook and personality would be completely different. J.K. Rowling has shown me, in the words of the wizard rock band Harry and the Potters, that the weapon we have is love. This, I believe.