I Believe Change is Good

Lukas - Castile, New York

My bubble has been popped. The imaginary bubble that has been built up around me over the years was popped when a certain girl said I was going to be her best friends—she told me she needed me to be happy. I know my bubble had to go if I was going to make her happy. I believe the people around me will help to change me into the best man that I can be.

The bubble has surrounded me for as long as I remember—growing every time despair, sadness, and loneliness filled my young life. I only listened to one kind of music (when I wasn’t forced to listen to what me sister was listening to), I only watched the movies and shows I felt I needed to see, and lastly, I didn’t let people touch me (hugs, hand on shoulder, etc.). I wanted to keep to myself and be my own person. It came with a hardship though; it was hard to get close with anyone.

Mandy was just a regular friend, no true importance in my life. We were in plays and the fourth grade together but there was not a real connection between us. When the school let Mandy and I go to Stratford in our sophomore year we opened up to each other for no reason on the bus ride. She just laid out what was going on in her life in black and white and I did the same for my life. We didn’t have a good reason to do this other than the fact the bus ride took forever. At this time, I could feel the bubble loosen and my life begin to change.

Next came the times to the movies and to lunch or dinner, where she introduced me to new things. We learned about each others troubles in our lives like Mandy’s parents’ divorce and my hard time getting over the hotel incident from my freshman year (no comment on that). We were able to talk about it and not worry about getting judged by one another and it felt pretty great. We both had problems that were the same and some that were different. One of the problems that were the same was the affect the new ‘clique’ in our grade had on us. We both were confused and hurt when our good friends formed a clique and we weren’t in it. In the end though, we both decided that we just wanted to live life and enjoy it—together.

Mandy introduced me to new music, new TV shows, and even made me feel comfortable enough to give people hugs when they were sad or just for the heck of it. She gave me someone to talk to when I was down and I gave her someone to talk to as well. She changed me into a better person and I believe it was for the better. I am more open to trying new things because of her and it all started with ridding me of my ‘bubble.’