A Rose Would Not Smell as Sweet

Katharine - Salida, Colorado

The act of believing is a firm and wholehearted confidence in ideas that have shaped the way people choose to live their lives. As I began to read several “This I Believe” essays, I felt as though the meaning of the word “believe” was becoming jumbled and opaque. “Believing” has developed into a shallow word that is associated with strong opinions. The genuine aesthetic beauty of the English language is extremely remarkable, however the true meanings of some words have been darkened by the layer of each passing year.

I love hamburgers. I love ice cream. I love Thursdays. I love winter. According to these examples, love is various things that make people feel happy and joyful. I feel strongly towards the misuse of this word. Love is the deepest and most powerful affection towards things which are not simple and common, such as family love, self love and the love of God. It is not meant to be taken advantage of and tossed around like an old, dirty shoe. Love’s true meaning is not to show affection towards food or clothing, material things that are simply liked. The most true and avid loves in life are few and far between, and once this passion is recognized for the first time, nobody should ever let it go.

“I hate my life.” This phrase I hear regularly after a misfortunate day at high school. Are miniscule issues actually provoking students to have the most powerful anger and fervent aversion towards themselves? To hate does not mean to dislike or distaste. The meaning of hate is the exact antonym of love. Love’s passionate affection is completely turned one hundred and eighty degrees becoming horrible and loathing. If people truly hate their lives, they would feel absolutely no self love, and would have lost everything they live for.

As I searched deep into my life, I struggled to find an accurate statement of what I truly believe. I have come to the conclusion that a person’s morality cannot be based on one set topic. Although I do feel strongly towards the splendor of words, it has not shaped my entire existence. The statement I am about to make I do not devout my life to, but it is simply a strong opinion about civilization. This I believe: just as a rose is beautiful for a small amount of time before is begins to wilt and fade, so beautiful words have lost their clarity and become insincere in the hands of Time.