My Guardian Angels

Ashely - Fancy Farm, Kentucky

I believe in guardian angels. I believe the guardian angels, who know us better than anyone, are our best friends. I believe these angels recited a friendship vow even before birth saying,

“I promise to know my best friend better than they know themselves. I will be there through sickness and health, guide them through tunnels that are too dark. I will talk them out of decisions that could be harmful and will be there for them when they feel like no one else is. I will get them through journeys that can’t be gotten through alone. I promise to be my best friend’s guardian angel.”

I am fortunate enough to have three angels in my life that I thank God for every day. They have helped me through more than they could ever imagine. There have been many journeys we have faced that challenged us like heartache, divorce, and even death. The beauty of true friendship though, is that no matter what obstacles there are, nothing can overpower it.

On May 22nd 2007 my mother called me in a panic to ask where I was. I remember going outside, and looking up at the sky and saying, “Lord, I know whatever this, is you’re going to get me through it.” When my mother finally arrived she told me the unthinkable. My heart broke at that instant and I lost it – one of my angels had died. This angel knew me better than anyone, was my best friend, my sister, for thirteen years; her name was Jess. From that moment on my world crashed before my eyes. I felt like it was my responsibility to be there to get Jess through the ‘Golden Gates of Heaven’. I thought I couldn’t fail her in this way so I thought had to do the same thing. After all, I should have been able to stop Jess from putting a gun to her head and ending her own life. But, my other two angels held me up and helped me realize that life was worth living, even when I wanted to give up on everything.

Joey, another one of my angels, was in Iraq at the time. My third angel, Ashley, has gotten me through a tremendous amount of heartache and pain throughout the years. They both stayed with me, even if it was over a thousand miles away, and helped me realize that it was the wrong way out. They are the ones who helped me through the following days, months, and years to come. Every day I face the struggle to get passed May 22nd, to get past the pain, heartache, and confusion that it carries. With my angels by my side nothing is impossible. Throughout all of this I have learned to never take your angels for granted. “What he shall give, he shall take away.” I believe in angels – dead and alive. I believe true friendship lasts more than a lifetime. Our best friends are our true guardian angels- this I believe.