The coolest person on earth

Shane - West Deptford, New Jersey

I believe that my grandfather is the coolest person on earth. To the best of my knowledge, he never does anything bad or immature, and he always looks for the bright side of something. He could be in a dark tunnel with no source of light and I guarantee that he would find a bright side to the situation.

My grandfather loves to golf more than anything, and he is always the coolest person out on the golf course. He got me hooked into golf, and almost everything I have learned has come from him, including his positive attitude. If he hits a terrible shot, he always says something like, “Oh well, I’ll hit it better next time.” Just being around him cools me down. When I go out with just my friends, I tend to let my anger out more, and play a lot worse than I would with my grandfather. I average a score of a hundred with my friends, but when I’m with my pop, I average a ninety-four. And even if I do get mad or frustrated when I’m playing with him, he doesn’t get mad back. He just tells me what I did wrong and that I will only get better.

The only way my grandfather ever slightly loses his cool is when someone mentions Richard Nixon. For some reason, the Watergate scandal really gets him agitated and he says things like that he knew Nixon was a problem before he was even elected. My grandfather never gets too upset over it, though, he just raises his voice – again showing just how cool he is. Even when discussing a topic that upsets him, my grandfather is able to keep his cool.

I know I’m not the only one who appreciates my grandfather. I’ve seen numerous times how his laid back, cool nature can calm friends and family down, too, no matter the situation. Just being in his presence makes people feel safe and sane in any predicament.

In today’s society of compromised family values, I believe it’s important to look to the elders in a family. They have so much experience and know a lot more than we do, and most would be glad to help out a young person looking for answers.

No one can be exactly like my grandfather, but the world would definitely be a better place if we had more people like him in it. This I believe