What Makes Us Unique

Mike - West Deptford, New Jersey

On the last day of school, I sat in anticipation for summer, feeling like 8th period was lasting way too long. I looked around at all the students in my class, annoyed by some, entertained by others, and thought not one of them is really anything like another, nor are they like anyone else in our school for that matter. So why do so many students try so hard to be like everyone else?

High school harbors some of the most stereotypical people alive. Almost everyone tries so hard to fit behind a label that there is rarely a unique individual. Maybe no one attempts to be “unique” simply because they want so badly to be socially accepted. I may be young, but I believe that being in the “in crowd” doesn’t necessarily make you cool, and it certainly doesn’t make you unique.

So what exactly makes a person unique? I believe that trying to be a better person is what makes unique individuals. Sounds tough, but there are some simple steps anyone can take to begin.

First and most importantly, always make the right decisions and try to correct the errors of your ways. Many teens today make destructive or disrespectful decisions, but rarely apologize for their actions. Trying to make the right decision in all situations and being responsible shows you have a good sense of judgment and good character, which many others don’t have. And doesn’t being a unique person mean standing out from the crowd because of your strong character?

Another aspect that contributes to being unique is to never give in to drama. To avoid following the “drama,” never start rumors, keep nasty comments to yourself, and even if someone is mean to you, still be nice to them anyway. Retaliating to nasty comments or rumors only makes the situation worse. But being nice to everyone shows that you’re a good person. Besides, most bullies look for a person’s weakness, and talking badly about others only shows the weaker side of you.

I know I am still not the most unique individual, but I have definitely learned not to always follow others. In middle school, I tried to be someone I wasn’t. I was mean to everyone, and I never kept things to myself. But that got me nowhere. Instead of fitting in and being cool, I was losing friends. I realized I had become the person I told myself I’d never be.

Those years destroyed my social status and building it back hasn’t been easy. But everyday, I try my hardest to be a nicer and better person because I also believe in karma. What goes around comes around, and only positivity will reward you in the end.

Being unique may not make you popular, but it will let you feel better knowing you always try to make the right decisions. And that’s better than anything popularity can offer. This I Believe.