I Believe in Classic Rock

Mike - West Deptford, New Jersey

I believe that classic rock should be its own religion. If everyone based their lives on it, the world would be a much happier place.

Classic rock puts people in a good mood and calms them down so they can think about what they need to do without overreacting. In fact, the whole point of music in general is to entertain and make people have a good time.

Music is the best way to lighten the mood in a room and create a good environment. Because it is so powerful, it can change an entire day around in a matter of minutes. My first day of work, I thought it was going to be a horrible day because I didn’t know what I was doing or what to expect. Then the fry cook turned on the radio station he always had on, which to me was the ultimate classic rock station, and it loosened me up enough that I could enjoy my work day. Now, what could be dreary work days are made fun just because we all sing along with the cook and play “name that band.” Instead of feeling stressed about work, I’m just having a good time.

So much of media is built around music and the music scene, too. Just look at the success of the I-Pod. Music is the thing that most young people look to for insight and I believe that classic rock is the perfect thing for young people to follow and base their beliefs on.

Most classic rock preached peace, love, respect, equality, and acceptance of other people’s situations. It was classic that rock got an entire generation through dark and confused times, like Vietnam and the drug years. Some ideas of that era still live on, but not like they should. The world definitely is not peaceful as it should be. That’s why it is necessary for this generation to look to the older generation and the classic rock they produced for peaceful inspirations. This I believe.