The Power of Music

Marissa - West Deptford, New Jersey

I believe that music has the power to affect people’s lives in profound ways.

A good song can expresses any emotion, and give people a way to just let go of it. When I want to feel relaxed and happy, I listen to soft calm music, like Sunny Day Real Estate. When I feel sad, I listen to the song “Sorry” by Maria Mena. With the soothing beat behind it and the honest lyrics, it helps me get over my sadness.

Songs can help you remember a person, or a good time you had, too. The song “You Are My Sunshine,” for example, reminds me of my Grandmom because she always used to sing it to me when I was a little kid. Sometimes it makes me really sad, but other times it makes me really happy because it reminds me of how much I loved her and all of the good times we had.

A good song, band, or album has also helped me create new friends, or establish better bonds with the ones I already had. If two people like the same music, they can use it to start a conversation and then find out that they have other things in common too.

Like when my cousin Brian began playing guitar and listening to all sorts of different bands, he started to introduce me to lots of new music. We were always close, but without his musical influences I would be a totally different person than I am now. Almost every time we hang out, he says “Have you heard… yet?” and we drive around in his car, listening to CDs at full volume. I find a new band to listen to pretty much every time I hang out with him.

Playing an instrument can positively affect your life, too. I began playing guitar when I was ten years old and now it is one of my favorite things to do. I have encouraged other people to play, as well. Sometimes my friend Nicole and I just sit in her room and play. One weekend, I played guitar and she sang, and that was pretty much all we did. I write songs and play for hours at a time. If I didn’t have guitar, I don’t know what I would have done for the past six years.

Music has helped me express myself, get closer to friends and family, and given me a creative outlet. My life would be so blah without it. I can’t imagine not being able to lie on my bed and listen to a new album I just got, or stay up until 3:00 in the morning playing my guitar.

Music is powerful. This I believe.