Stick to what you know

Katelynn - West Deptford, New Jersey

I believe that everyone should chew gum when they are not eating a meal or sleeping. Chewing gum is not only fun, it’s healthy.

If more people chewed gum more often, we wouldn’t have the national obesity problem that we do today – especially among kids. Since I started chewing gum everyday, I have stopped eating snacks in between meals and after dinner. This is a lot healthier considering gum has less than five calories per piece, only one gram of carbohydrates, no sugar, no fat, and no sodium. Compare that to eating chips or cookies every day after school or work or while watching TV. You always mean to eat “only one or two,” but realistically, how many times is the bag half gone before you even stop to look down at it?

In addition to helping with the obesity problem, gum can help people who struggle with bad habits, such as smoking or drinking. Considering most of these people have addictive personalities, they could just replace their bad habit with something good to prevent them from further harming themselves. For example, if someone already had cinnamon gum in their mouth and then started drinking alcohol, the alcohol would taste worse, like drinking orange juice after brushing your teeth. If that person consistently had gum every time they wanted to take a drink, they’d be less likely to drink because the flavor would be bad.

Chewing gum can also be good in social situations. At parties, you wouldn’t have to worry about how your breath smells if you are chewing gum all the time because the gum will keep it fresh. Blowing bubbles and cracking your gum, too, can be useful. If you are telling a story, blowing a bubble at a strategic point might make it more exciting. Or, if you want to emphasize a loud noise, you could crack your gum for special effects.

Above all, gum can provide hours of fun, harmless entertainment. Whenever I am bored, I try to blow bubbles as big as I can. It may seem silly, but I’ve enjoyed having the opportunity to experiment with how chewing time affects elasticity. For example, I found it is best to chew about five to ten minutes in order to blow the biggest bubble with the least amount of work. Something else to try is blowing a double bubble. This is when you blow one bubble then another inside of the first. It is the ultimate challenge for avid gum chewers and is a much less harmful pastime than the violent video games and racy reality TV that so many kids are sucked into these days.

Gum is a symbol of sticking to what you know. And in this fast paced world of over-achievers, people could use a daily reminder of keeping things simple and always coming back to your roots. If everyone chewed gum all the time, the world would be much a healthier, safer, and happier place. This I believe.