Homework – it’s just too much

Frank - West Deptford, New Jersey

I believe there should be no homework. It’s just too much. Going to school seven hours a day, then coming home to go right back to it. And that’s not even taking into consideration sports or after school activities. Then there’s even less time for homework, and no time at all to relax or hang with friends.

I play soccer for my school. Most days I don’t get home until six thirty – seven o’clock, and I usually go to sleep around ten. That’s only about three hours to do homework, relax, take a shower, and get ready to go to sleep. But most nights I have homework in two to four of my classes. At the minimum, each homework assignment will take me about fifteen to thirty minutes. So even with the absolute least amount of homework, I still only have about two left. Plus, in the middle of all this, there’s the matter of eating dinner, which takes different amounts of time depending on the type of meal we’re having.

These are what my typical days look like. But after my team loses a soccer game or we tie, we have an extremely tiring practice the next day. This makes it even harder to come home and do anything. When I have this kind of practice, I usually just come home, eat, shower, and go to sleep. But then the next morning I’m rushing in homeroom to get all my homework done. When I rush, I mess up more often and then I get a bad grade on my homework and my overall grade suffers.

And I know some kids who have it even worse than me. Some kids play a sport and play in the band, sing in the choir, or participate in other types of activities. Band practice, for one, is at seven-thirty at night. So, if you play a sport and play in the band, then you won’t get home until nine-thirty or ten o’clock. That means absolutely no time for homework or to do anything enjoyable.

Teachers are always saying they want students to take part in after school activities and clubs, but then they give so much homework they make it impossible. If teachers didn’t give so much homework, then kids would be able to do a lot more for their school.

Without homework, kids would be happier, and life would be a lot easier. Having more free time would mean being able to relax and hang with friends and family. And isn’t that what the youth of today is supposed to be learning – family values? Right now, on nights when I have no homework I get to come home and relax for about an hour. Then I go to my friend’s house and stay there for a few hours, and I still have a few hours to relax at home afterwards. If that was everyday, life would be great. Life is better without homework. This I believe.