Music Brings us Together

Dan - West Deptford, New Jersey

I believe that without music people would be completely stressed, out of control, and in a grumpy mood all day, everyday.

Music is something anyone can relate to. So many people go home after a stressful day at school or work and put on their favorite tunes because it gets them relaxed, happy, and feeling like all their problems have gone away. Isn’t that an overpowering feeling? For me, these poems made into little tunes make me feel like there just isn’t a care in the world.

My personal favorite bands these days are Nirvana, Queen, and Pink Floyd. To me, there’s nothing like lying down and falling asleep with Syd Barrett singing, “I’ve got a clan of gingerbread men. Here a man, there a man, lots of gingerbread men. Take a couple if you wish. They’re on the dish.” Silly things like that make me smile, and smiling makes me more relaxed.

I wasn’t always into music, though. At first, I found my own little comfort in laughing at comedians like George Carlin. My interest in quirky comedians I believe helped make me into the unique, strange person I am. However, it took a good friend to sway me away from comedy and into music.

In the 8th grade, I would usually go to his house after school and we would just sit in his brother’s room listening to music on the computer for hours. Our top five were heavy rockers like Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden. But we listened a little bit of everything, including Brit pop bands like Oasis and prog rock like Queen. As we listened to the tunes, we would talk about what we thought about the music, and laugh at some of the weirder lyrics, and soon I found myself becoming obsessed with music. I really had no personal favorite band, though, until I listened to “Smells like Teen Spirit” and “Negative Creep” and I knew Nirvana was tops for me. Without their music, I would have nothing.

See music brought something special to my ears and opened up my mind. I listen to music when I’m in a bad mood, tired, bored, or just because I want to. It tingles my senses and makes me feel good about things that try to bring me down.

If more people learned to love and enjoy music like I do, they could find themselves much happier, calmer, humble human beings, and this change in attitude could go on to affect whole communities, countries, and even the world. I have no doubt that if a loud speaker echoed John Lennon’s song “Imagine” throughout the world, there would be much more peace and love. Well, at least it would be cool if that could happen.

If more people got high on music not drugs, this world would be a more loving and less hateful place. Music is a drug to me. Music is my Nirvana, and that’s what I believe.