The “Hi” Game

Courtney - West Deptford, New Jersey

I believe that being kind to others by simply saying “Hi” can spread joy and laughter, and brighten up a person’s day. Saying “Hi” to people creates a common human connection and a calm, inviting atmosphere. I believe that if everyone would just say “Hi” to each other, people wouldn’t be so uptight.

My belief began at the start of the school year, when every morning I would walk into homeroom at 7:20 am and say “Hi” to each and every person there. Some people ignored me, but others would say “Hi” back and soon it turned into a game. From then on, my friends and I would all race each other into homeroom to see who could say “Hi” first. Usually I would win because I was always the first one into homeroom, but not always.

It didn’t take long before the once boring homeroom turned into the place that I felt most comfortable at school. After the bell at 7:31, our homeroom would be full of people talking and laughing, and just messing around, instead of a bunch of people half asleep. Saying “Hi” helped break the ice so everyone could get along and start conversations. Plus, it’s a great feeling to be greeted by so many people in the morning and to feel welcomed into the room. Now, it’s always the first thing that I look forward to when I am walking into school.

If everyone got just a little comforting, friendly “Hi” in the morning then maybe people wouldn’t be so angry or upset all day. It’s so hard to look forward to anything at 7:30 in the morning, especially if it’s eight hours of high school. But this year, I have noticed that I am not the same student that I was the year before. Since the “Hi” game started, I am happier and calmer throughout my day, and feel like I can take on the world. One word can make a big difference. This I believe.