Silly Moments of Laughter

Brittany - West Deptford, New Jersey

I enjoy many little things in life, like “I Love Lucy,” balloons and old cartoons that my brother and I used to wake up early on Saturday mornings to watch. But most of all, I love knock-knock jokes. Knock-knock jokes are silly little moments of laughter that brighten up my day. Whenever I hear the words “knock-knock,” I can’t help but giggle and say, “Who’s there?” I know it’s quirky, but it gets me every time.

Including the time when my best friend and I were working out at the gym, feeling really tired and just, overall, having an off day. As we attempted to do crunches on the Pilates exercise balls, I spontaneously decided to tell her a knock-knock joke I had heard earlier that week on a children’s television show — “Knock-knock” … “Who’s there?” … “Old lady” … “Old lady who?” … “I didn’t know you can yodel!”

It was by far not the most clever knock-knock joke I’d ever delivered, but my best friend started laughing so hard she fell off her ball. When I saw her reaction, I started cracking up and ended up falling, too. For the rest of the time we were supposed to be working out, we ended up just laying there telling and making up knock-knock jokes. Not only was that the most fun I have ever had at a gym, but it also made my day a little bit better.

Now that I’m in high school and starting to grow up, life is no longer about winning board games, or finding the best hiding spots so I can finally win at hide-and-seek. Now I actually have responsibilities, including a lot more homework. So whenever I get stressed about a big test, or get overloaded with homework, I think of a knock-knock joke and everything seems a little better.

Knock-knock jokes could help make stressed out or sad people lighten up, and older people feel young again – even for just a moment. And who can resist the uncontrollable giggles from a child who has just heard or told a knock-knock joke. If everyone knew at least one knock-knock joke to tell when someone is feeling down or a moment needs to be brightened, imagine how many silly moments laughter could be spread in one day. This I believe.