In the Moment: A Philosophy on Life

William - Dallas, Texas

Time has and will always play a big part in my life. I grew up in a very time conscience home. Every day I would hear comments like, “Time waits for no man”or, “Never do tomorrow what you can do today.” My parents were constantly rushing off to appointments. Even my sister and I had a schedule to conform to. There was a certain time we had to wake up, a certain time to eat, and a certain time to I go to bed. As I grew up, I became time conscience as well, almost to the point of a vice. I was spending more time planning what I was going to do than actually doing it. I was constantly worrying about the next day, and when that day came, I started worrying about the next. I was living in the future without a solid foundation in the present. Time was my enemy, with me as the helpless hero, always trying to defeat my foe but always being defeated.

While it was really a summation of a series of events, I arrived at my new life one rainy night a couple of years ago. I had gotten into my bed but I could not get to sleep. I was too busy thinking about the future—the next day, the next year, the next decade. After about an hour of this, I felt overwhelmed. It became too much—too much to worry about. I just could not take the burden of having to plan for everything life would throw at me. It was at that moment I got out my Bible and opened it too Matthew. After some reading I came to Matthew 6:34: “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

After that night, it was as if a huge burden was taken off me—not only for that one moment but for my life onward. Now whenever I get overwhelmed with all the goals I have to accomplish, I remind myself to do my best now. That is the most I can do.

I still plan ahead, but in a much more sensible manner. I make sure to plan only as much as I need to. I always try to be the best person I can be each and every individual moment. I make sure that when I take a step back from what I am doing, I make sure I am doing what I need to be doing, how I need to be doing it. Everything should have a purpose, whether it is my completing my school assignments to the best of my ability or my relaxing from a busy day with my family. As long as I remember to do my best now—to be the best person I can be each and every moment—I know everything will turn out alright.