Free Throws

Sieara - USA
Themes: work

What if no one in life cared? I believe that people should do the very best they are capable of twenty-four-seven. Who cares if you make a mistake or aren’t the best? As long as you personally know you gave it your all, that is the only thing that should matter.

I think the whole “always trying your best” deal started a long time ago. My parents drilled it into me and my sister’s head constantly. My dad used to tell me when I was out there on the softball field or in the classroom to go do my best. Today I don’t get much of that any more because it is expected, but I definitely hear,” Swing that bat as hard as you can!” or,” How are you doing in algebra, you still have an A, right?” Once you hear it so many times you realize that it is something that is pretty much a required skill in life.

To me, having a good work ethic is what is most important. You won’t make it very far in life without it. For example, there is a hoop shoot contest once a year where you have to make the most free throws while competing against others. The first year I competed I was ten years old and I got beat by an older girl. I was determined to win district the next year and move on to regionals, so the whole year I practiced my foul shots. The next year I actually did end up winning district but losing in regionals. Every year I made it one level farther up until the last year I could compete and I had made it to state where one of the girls beat me (once again). I was extremely disappointed about my defeat but I knew I had at least gave it my all. I think the lesson here definitely is to always try your best.

As I mentioned before, I am taking algebra this year and as the days go by the work gets more and more difficult. It is finally becoming a challenge at times for me but I’m expected to keep up my grades while playing sports. It takes a lot of hard work but it is something I have to do. Not just to please my parents, but to please myself.

When you do the best you can it gives you an uplifting feeling and you can’t ask for anything better. Knowing you tried your hardest and strived to be the best should make your heart swell like a balloon. Even if you are not the very best out there, no one can ever say anything to you if you gave it your all.