I Believe in Giving Thanks

Droc - gulfport, Mississippi

God has done so many wonderful things in my life. As a child, I always felt a close bond with God. I remember having mental conversations with him and even though I did not hear a response, I felt it. When I turned eleven, I suddenly forgot about God and even contemplated his existence. This action would begin an avalanche of pain and suffering that would last years of my life. I eventually would regain my composure, but only through the graces of God and narrowly escaping hell.

Before I entered high school, I was a model student. I was anti-drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, and anything that was morally or legally wrong. Then, I became just another high school student experimenting with anything I could get my hands on. These experimentations quickly became habits. Suddenly, I had become another statistic of teenage drug and alcohol abuse. These addictions took away all my money, my prosperous collegiate career, my sanity, and nearly my life.

After years of battling the demon that had entered my brain, the destructive years of my life would take a dramatic turn. The night started out just like any other; alcohol and ecstasy were on the menu, but this night would end up with an accidental overdose. Throughout the night I consumed ten ecstasy pills. The last thing I remember was getting into the shower, and then, I was awoken by a bucket of cold water. My father found me in the bathroom with my eyes rolled back and my body as hot as an oven. I knew I had gone too far and it was time for me to make a change and take my life back.

I eventually gave up drugs and earned my G.E.D. Through strong will and determination, I joined the military. This decision gave me the structure and discipline I needed to continue on my journey to success. I am now a college student and a proud father. Analyzing my past, I now realize God has a plan for me. I am thankful for all the blessings he has given me. Indeed, I believe in giving thanks to God for all his mercy and love.