Believe in Yourself

Zeinia - Hendersonville, North Carolina

Believe In Yourself

Zeinia K #15

4/21/08

p5 ELA

I think that it’s important to believe in yourself, because it is the best you can be.

Believing in yourself means that you don’t let anything bring you down, and you trust in yourself that you can do it. It may be hard to believe in yourself all the time because of peer pressure, but it’s possible because I have done it before.

Many of our heroes have been picked on and told that they couldn‘t do what they believed in. They have been ridiculed for following their dreams in what they believed in. For example, The Wright Brothers believed they could build the first plane and fly, many people made fun of them, but they believed in themselves and became first in flight. Albert Einstein was even kicked out of school, but he believed in himself, and studied hard, and later became one of the world’s greatest scientists. Anne Sullivan believed she could teach Helen Keller, who was deaf, dumb, and blind, to read and write, and because Sullivan believed in herself, she helped Helen Keller graduate from college and achieve her goals.

When I was younger I used to have a very hard time believing in myself. From Elementary school to sixth grade, I never used to like math, and I always tried to avoid talking about it. I used to get upset when other kids did better than me. I didn’t do well in it as much as I could have. My parents always told me that I can do whatever I want, if only I believed in myself and tried harder. I now know that that definitely is true. Everyone believed in me, but I didn’t believe in myself. After I realized this, I became determined to bring my grades up and keep them up. I persevered and my grades dramatically soared. I never stopped believing in myself until I had gotten an A on my report card in math. By the end of seventh grade I had achieved my goal. I have gotten so much better, that now I actually enjoy math because I know I can do it. Now I try to do my best in everything I can by believing I can, because the sky is the limit. Believing in yourself can be tough, but it truly pays off in the end. This I believe.