I believe Things Happens for a Reason

Stephanie - harrison, Michigan
Themes: family, setbacks

I Believe Things Happen for A Reason

Life can change in a split second. Your whole life can be shatterered, then picked up and rearranged at a moment’s notice. When this happens, if this happens, you should remember that everything happens for reason.

When I was born, I changed my mom and dad’s life forever. I was brought into the world to bring them happiness and joy and the reason for becoming who they were. They had joy, peace, love, and loyalty for me. Even before I was born, I changed their lives. Next, my brother was born on December 9, 1992. There were two of us to take care of, but it wasn’t hard because my mother knew we were in her life for a reason. She knew that her life was finally complete because of us.

My mother was a smoker in life, but didn’t know what would happen to her in her later years. My mom was diagnosed with lung cancer on June 5,1998, my dad’s birthday, and three days before my eighth birthday. It was one of the saddest days of my life. It was my birthday weekend, so I could not act like nothing was wrong or like I was sad. She had chemotherapy and radiation. I had to start taking care of everything like I was the woman of the house. Cleaning and cooking took up most of my life. It changed her life and everyone around her. It controlled her life and her faith. In 2001 she died of the cancer. It left a hole in the hearts of her loved ones. After she died, it became worse than it was when my mom was sick.

My dad drank more and more. I had to do more because he couldn’t take life anymore. Then because of that my dad couldn’t figure out why everything was happening. He drank so much he ruined his liver, at the same time cancer took over his life just like it took over my mother’s life. He had kidney dialysis, and I had to stay at my uncle’s for about two to three months until he got better. He got better, but soon the cancer shut down his body slowly. He died the day before Easter in 2003. Those two moments changed my life forever. I was sent to live with my Aunt Nina, and Uncle Jeff and was forced to move up to Harrison.

Every now and then, I have these still moments that run across my memory. They make me smile, sad, and grateful. I remember this one time when I was younger. My brother and I were riding on my dad’s back. My brother always rode on his butt. He always ended up falling off his butt and blaming it on me. He would run to my mom and cause her to make the video camera shake. All of us would laugh about it that evening. I also remember when I was younger, my mom came to every cheerleading event I had and took thousands of pictures of the event and of me. Those are the moments that are memorable that make life worth living.

Everyday is a struggle to stop thinking about everything that has happened. It has taught me so much about life. People come and people go and change our views about the world. Moments that happen with that person are still and are things that you will never forget. The still moments are frozen in my memory and they always look the same. They are frozen photographs that always seem to never change and they have made me who I am. They change you and make you stronger. Losing both of my parents has made me realize that you can’t hate life and wonder why things have happened to you. Everything has to happen for a reason because we would never learn from our mistakes and our choices.

On my favorite television show One Tree Hill, Lucas Scott said this. “There are moments in our lives when we find ourselves at a crossroad, afraid, confused, without a roadmap. The choices we make in those moments can define the rest of our days. Of course, when faced with the unknown, most of us prefer to turn around and go back. Most of our lives are a series of images. They pass us by like towns on a highway. But sometimes a moment stuns us as it happens, and we know that this instant is more than a fleeting image. We know that this moment, every part of it, will live on forever.” Some moments and images move and shape us. They make us who we are and the choices we make in our life. My parents are gone and they always will be. I can’t dwell in the past, but I must believe that they died for a reason, reason that is unknown to me, but I will find out about in the future. My parents are like a moving picture in my mind. They are like photographs that are frozen in time. My parents will always be with me so I cherish them all the days of my life. I believe every single word of this. I live my life by this. Therefore, I believe that everything happens in our lives for a reason.