I Was Born

Parker - 14850, New York

I was born into a large family of six kids, with four boys, and two girls, my parents were organic farmers, who sold their produce all across the state. When I was just nine months old our farmhouse burnt down. My parents decided to take that as an omen to move away. My dad had bought a nineteen sixty-four old greyhound bus; He remodeled the insides to resemble a home. We packed up the little amount of things we owned, and drove out to California. While living in Santa Cruz California, we lived in two different homes, but mostly in our bus. My parents tried to restart their organic farming business, but they did not have any luck. After many failed attempts we left the west coast in our motor home.

We came home to Ithaca only to stay for the summers, and when winter came we left yet again. We lived everywhere from Arkansas to Louisiana to Arizona, and many other places. It felt to me and my brother Adam that we were on a never ending road trip. The rest of my siblings had moved on with their lives, which left me and my brother, with not much besides each other. Whether we were parked in a friends driveway, a state park, or on the side of a street we always had something to do or something to learn, and rarely were bored. But without living in one place long enough to make childhood friends, I always wanted only to live in a house, and make long term friendships.

I was always learning something new, whether it was from going to historical sites, or learning how to farm, or to work on cars. I even saw the many different inner American cultures. But I always wanted only to fit in, which is a main part of growing up. Every time we would leave somewhere, I and my brother Adam would beg to stay, and start a new life. But my parents seemed like they would never ever settle down again.

Well after many big things happened in our family, and me begging my mother until she let me go to public school. We have settled down, and I must say these things, that after feeling forever angry at my parents for denying me a “normal” life. I see that it was not all bad. I was given something that a lot of kid’s dream of and that is to have traveled around the country and not have had to go to school. I used to resent my early childhood of my parents, but now I seem to have forgiven them. I must admit that it is relaxing to finally live and have my own first room.

I see that my parents only wanted me to travel, and that they wanted me to learn from viewing the world with my young eyes. I think that when I have children of my own, I may do it a little differently but I will most definitely make them experience many different situations and have them learn from them.