As Simple as That

Andre - Miami Springs, Florida
Themes: gratitude

As Simple as That

I believe in thank you. A simple “thank you” can really go a long way. Growing up, I was taught to always say my please and thank you’s and I realized just how important it is. My mother would embarrass me every time some one would give me a present by say loudly “Say thank you.” I remember how annoyed I really was. None the less it became more of a habit, one of which I didn’t appreciate until that one simple yet memorable day. I remember in middle school my best friend would always give me his gummy worms because he knew how much I loved them. He liked gummy worms just as much as I did but he still gave them to me every day at lunch. And every day I would always say “thank you, mostly at of habit. Then one day I completely forgot to say thank you. There was no specific reason why I did not say thank you and really the whole thing never crossed my mind. The next day during lunch I went up to him and asked for them and he said that his mom didn’t give him any today. I was disappointed but when I glance over at his lunch box and I saw worms I was dumfounded that was not offered the gummy worms. I had no idea why. He was one of my best. This went on for about three days and I still could not figure out what went wrong. As soon as I realized my mistake and I told my friend that I was sorry for not saying thank you. He forgave me and continued to give me his gummy worms every day. As I was writing this I could remember the exact smells of that lunch room when I figured how important that thank you my mother has been forcing me to learn was. It really is that important.

When you give someone something or just when you do something to make someone else happy, a simple thank you is all you really need to feel complete. Has there ever been a time when you’ve done something for someone and they didn’t say thank you? It makes you feel like you are being taken for granted. But if you do get a thank you in return, your act of kindness is completely fulfilled. There really is nothing like a good “Thank you.”