I Believe in Myself

Alexandra - Orlando, Florida

I Believe in Myself

I believe in myself, in my own forces. “You can do it if you really want it.” These words from a famous song became the motto of my life. Since childhood, my mom told me that, if you don’t love yourself, do not respect and believe in yourself, you won’t get any success in your life. The way that you think about yourself is the way that other people think about you. I believe that there is nothing impossible for me, and I can do everything, even becoming an astronaut or the president, or a world famous sportsman. As long as you do what you are passionate about, and believe in it one hundred percent , you will achieve your goals.

A lot of times I am convinced of the surprising possibilities of the person. In December 2004, I saw on the wall of my university in Russia an announcement about a student trip to the USA. It was an international exchange student program for the summer. I liked this idea at once, but there were one little problem. One of the most important requirements in that announcement was that I had to know the English language, and be able to communicate freely at a conversational level. My parents were not against it, but the first question which was asked by mom was, “This is no problem for us; however, considering that all your life you have been learning the French language at school, how are you going to pass the test in the American embassy?” Yes, it was really a big problem. But I answered them, “Mom, you know me, if I want anything, I will do it. Tomorrow, I will start to learn English.” And I did. The next morning I went to a school for foreign languages. I clearly understood that if I did not pass the test on knowledge of English in the American embassy in Moscow, I will stay all summer at home, and all my dreams would be shattered. My mom always tells: “Believe in yourself that you can do it, and you will do it.” At last that long-awaited day – a trip to the American embassy in Moscow had come. I remember very well, how strongly my heart was fighting and my knees and hands were shivering from the scare. However, collecting my thoughts I remembered mom’s words, “The main thing is you have to be sure in yourself and everything will be ok.” Lifting my head proudly, I approached to a window where I was expected by the consul.

I passed the test and received the visa. It was first time I had done something that seemed impossible: to learn English in a short term, in three months. I received success only because I believed that I could do it, no matter what. This is the most vivid example from my life, but it is not unique. Today I am studying at Florida International University, where I transferred one year ago. Who could think that two and a half years ago I did not speak English at all? Some people live their whole life in the USA and they cannot believe in themselves, or that they are still capable of learning any foreign languages. Especially in this country, the relation to the self, and respect for the self are important; self-confidence especially is the main push for many people to achieve all treasured desires in their life.

My second experience with my belief is about my mom, the person who is my ideal, whose advice I have followed since my first birthday. Her name is Svetlana. She told me that the most interesting classes at school were literature ones. Meeting a remarkable person, her teacher of Russian and literature, had given her a push for reading a lot. She read much, both classics and modern literature, and wrote a lot of good compositions under the school program. However, her involvement with art and creativity, actually, ended there. She received a technical education, worked as the engineer, but she always was interested in art. Everywhere at home, you could see some different hand-made toys which my mom made with us. “The art world is wonderful! Getting into it, you become purer, better.” Mom repeated: “I thought, that I could join it, and I decided to try my skills in creativity and art.”

She began with a small thing: to teach children to create beauty by their hands. Together with them, she sewed, molded, drew, thought out various toys. Studying a lot of literature, she created the special world of “her toys”. They are very different, unlike to each other, like alive. However, starting to create, one cannot stop. What she was doing seemed to her just a little part of what she could do. She began to think out different stories of toys’ lives, their existence.

Human possibilities are boundless. Poetry is something ennobled, beautiful and unusual in her perspective. Poetry is a wonderful world, the old passion of mankind.

“Why do I not try poetry?” she thought. Considering all her imagination, creative power, inspiration, and experience of dialogue with different people, she dared to try. She writes by force of the soul, mind, and heart. She writes verses which she never wrote before! They flow from her like an unbounded stream, making her unable to sleep at night, jumping at unexpected ideas or thoughts. Her thoughts can overtake her any minute.

I am happy that she found herself, that she could open her new abilities. In two years, she published ten collections of poems, and wrote more than 20 songs, which today you can hear on the local radio, and also more than 30 fairy tales for children. She became famous in our city. I believe that if the person wants something very much, he necessarily will achieve it. I also have big dreams and plans: I wish to learn to paint images. The world of painting for me is closed for a while, but I believe in myself, that I will necessarily slightly open a door into it, and I will solve its secret. I very much want to do it. Human forces are boundless. A man can make any wonders by the force of his mind, consciousness, reason and heart. I truly believe in that.