Individuality and Expression

Cullen - Moore, South Carolina

Individuality and Expression

By: Cullen Camacho

I believe in individuality among people and our ability as human beings to express ourselves, primarily through music and the arts. I believe that humans are naturally different from one another and that we can express and embrace that individuality among us in a myriad of different ways.

For a person to conform to the will of government or succumb to the pressure among fellow peers in one’s school or workplace is almost barbaric. Are we anything more than wolves following a pack to a meaningless, but ultimate demise? Succumbing to pressure to be “cool” or “popular” is almost just the same as succumbing to the power of drugs and alcohol via your classmate’s suggestions! There is no real difference between the old mother quote, “If Jimmy jumped off a bridge would you?” and this growing problem in our society of always conforming to what everyone wants you to be. Hopefully things will not go the extreme of children throwing themselves off of cliffs and buildings trying to simply “do what everyone else is doing”, but it may come to that figuratively speaking.

Personally, I try my best to keep away from the trends and such of our current generation and I try to make my own brand of “cool”, my own brand of behavior that is acceptable by the public as a whole. I don’t put on a visage of a happy go-lucky teenager with not a problem in the world, if I am having a bad day then I express myself as such I don’t try to fool others or myself. I honestly portray an image of Cullen Ross Camacho, I don’t portray an image of “just that guy”, I want to be recognized as myself! I want to be a name more than just a face, I do all I can so people know who I am and I know who I am and I am proud!

I usually express myself as different and unique via my music. Whether I am listening to “Stairway to Heaven” by Led Zeppelin and are being sent on a musical rollercoaster of joy and depression, or I am attempting to play it myself on my Dean brand Acoustic/Electric guitar. Music can directly affect the disposition or the personality of a person, and thusly can allow them to fully express themselves accordingly. I believe that through the arts, primarily music, one can fully express his or herself as unique and different. Music is a gateway through which our imagination and creativity can flow freely, bubbling with the sense of pride and accomplishment. Seeing of how songwriting is a form of poetry, music allows one’s true opinions about their life and the lives of those around them, similar to what some bands and musicians such as Rage Against the Machine and Bob Dylan have done in the past. Music allows one to express oneself through the music itself and the lyrics as well, it is a universal mode of expression along with the arts such as sketching and painting.

Great artist such as Picasso painted and created works that showed a definite link to his current life at the time. An example can be shown in the periods throughout his painting career such as the blue period and the time when he practically invented the use of abstract art. Other artist played an important role in our modern society, much similar to musicians did in earlier years, such as Davinci and his schematics of the human anatomy and several inventions such as a plethora of flying machines. These schematics were practically made before man even dreamed or thought that flight was achievable by man. He expressed himself and sub consequently he went down in history as a genius of his time, a true visionary. He along with Picasso never “went with the flow” or appeased those around them with petty art which was acceptable at the time, instead they did what they felt was important and what they believed would be remembered. Thusly, those artist and various revoluationary musicians have became immortal in our modern society.