Four Funerals and a Hurricane

Moira - Brighton, Michigan
Themes: carpe diem

Throughout my 20 years of living, I’ve been to many funerals. I learned at a very young age that death is anything but scary; it should be more of a celebration.

Last Friday, I received a call that devastated me. A very close family friend had passed away in his home (from pneumonia) and his 11-year old daughter found him. When I got the news, all I could think about was his family and how much they’ll miss him. Then I started thinking of my own dad, and how I would feel if I woke up the next day and he was gone. I started to think of all the things I never said to him, and things I never experienced with him.

This day in age, we have a tendency to take everything and everyone for granted. People don’t think about what will happen when their loved ones die, or if their house is destroyed.

In 2006, I decided to spend on spring break volunteering on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The first time I visited the coast, I cried. Words and pictures cannot express what I saw, and this was 6 months after the storm. Most of the people I talked to were just as surprised as I was when the hurricane hit. And most of the people I knew lost their homes, their pets and even some loved ones. Had they known this devastation would take place, would they have told their loved ones everything they wanted to say?

Let’s face it; death is all around us, and it won’t be going away. What we, as human beings, need to realize is that you shouldn’t wait. Don’t regret things. Live your days as if it were your last. Tell your your loved ones how much you appreciate them, and even give them a hug or two.