Katie - USA
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that everything in life happens for a reason and to cherish every moment of it.

Have you ever witnessed an accident? Watching it happen right before your eyes, and thinking to yourself, “That could have been me.” Thinking that maybe if I wouldn’t have hit the snooze button, that could have been me? Or thinking that if I wasn’t stopped by that red light, that could have been me?

I am a college student and I recently had to write an essay on afterlife advice. The idea for this essay came from a movie where the main character invites customers to record advice for their spouses, children, grandchildren, friends, etc., to be delivered via video after their deaths. While most of the customers were either terminally ill, elderly, or both, my professor thought that any one could plan such a final statement. I have to admit, this was a very hard thing to write. Trying to think of what you would write as a message for your family members and/or friends to remember you by.

I directed my advice toward my older sisters; which was kind of weird because they were always the ones giving me advice and if I have advice for them, it was unlikely for them to take it from their younger sister. So this was my chance to give my advice and possibly have them consider it.

While I was writing this “final statement,” it really made me think about my young life, what I believe in, and how I view life in general. One of the main things I believe in and one of the points of advice I gave, was that everything happens for a reason. Whether the outcome is good or bad or not the way you wanted it to be, everything happens for a reason. Even if we think this way, a lot of us still have thoughts full of woulda, shoulda, couldas. I am sure everyone could think of a time when you said, “If only we would have been here sooner.” Or, “Good thing we left when we did.” Just remember everything happens for a reason, and life will move on.

I also passed on the advice that we need to cherish every moment. Whether it is with or without loved ones; cherish life in general and everything it has in store. You never know when it is your time to go or a loved ones.

Being so young, and having to think about what your “final statement” would be, reminds you that anything could happen at anytime. Cherish every moment.

I encourage you to think about what you would write and maybe use that advice with your loved ones.