Lessons We Learn From Losing

Paula - Madison, Ohio

I believe the most important life lessons you will learn are the ones you learn from losing. Loss comes to all of us and in many forms and degrees.

Sometimes we lose in small ways. It may be a game or a challenge. When we lose, we walk away thinking, how can we do better next time? Losing seems to creep back into our thoughts it challenges us. It is the lesson of perseverance we strive to do better.

We have all seen families on the news standing in front of their burned out homes. They are grateful their family is safe. No one was hurt or lost their life. Although, they may have lost all their personal possesions they know possessions are replaceable. This is a lesson of priority. When we lose, we discover what is really important and dear to us.

The most difficult loss one can experience is the loss of a loved one. When I lost my husband, I learned my most important life lesson. It is the leson that gave me strenght and sustains me today.

During the day immediatley following his death and at the funeral, the outpouring of support and generosity was astonishing. The processional of cars to the cemetary was an impressive two miles long.

When we arrived home after the burial, my house was wall to wall with friends and family. Food had been arriving in a stady stream at the back door throughout the morning. Everyone pitched in and their was not a single detail or need overlooked. I have never felt more loved in my life.

Through losing I learned the lesson of love. I discovered how many people I have in my life that love and care for me. It was the lesson of love that gave me the strenght to deal with my grief, to move forward on days I thought I would never get through.

No matter what kind of losses we experience in our lives they change our perspectives, they are supposed to.

Losing moves us to take inventory of our lives and reset our priorities. I makes us aware of what we have in our live that in the past we may have taken for granted.

To quote Helen Keller, “Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood’.