Love Cannot be Determined by Race

Rosalie - San Diego, California
Themes: family, race

I have fallen in love with the man of my dreams; I cannot find anything that I would want to change about him. He is loving, caring, funny, cute, crazy, responsible and best of all, he is my best friend. I know this all may seem cliché, but this is the way I feel and I have never been happier. There is just one big problem that I have to face, and that is my Dad not being ok that my boyfriend is not the same color as me. I am still very young, but I know that there is no one that I would rather be with than my boyfriend. My Dad is very sad that I am thinking about marrying someone that is a different race from me.

My Dad has nothing against my boyfriend himself; he just wants me to keep our family heritage the same as it always has been, white. I however, have a problem with this fact. I try to tell him that I cannot help the way I feel, but he just does not understand. I have been with my boyfriend for over a year, and I have never felt this way with anyone before. I do not even notice my boyfriend’s race, he is simply the one that I love, and nothing else should matter. I fear that one day I will lose the “father daughter” relationship that I have with my Dad. This would be horrible, but on the other hand I could never imagine losing my boyfriend.

I am going to strive to find ways to compromise with both my Dad and my boyfriend. I love them both very much, and hopefully one day, eventually, my Dad will come around and accept that I am in love. I just have to stick to my belief that race should never be a factor in choosing the one that I love and that I want to spend the rest of my life with. I know that my Dad loves me very much, and he does not want to lose the relationship that we have. What ever comes out of my relationship with my boyfriend, I hope for my Dad to be there for me and to support any decisions that I make.