Happiness is Something We Create

Alyssa - Puyallup, Washington
Themes: hope

“Some believe in happiness, and some believe in fate, but I believe that happiness is something we create.” Sugarland.

The grass is always greener on the other side. That’s what they say, right? But is it always true? What if things aren’t as bad as they seem? That for every one regret you have, there are one hundred more things to be thankful for. Life is beautiful, but they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder; this I believe.

I am taken back almost six months ago. The man, whom I once called my father, packed his belongings one night and left my family the next morning. Heartbroken and confused, I thought back to a mere three years prior when he looked me square in the eye and said, “I’m not going to leave again, I promise.” That I believed.

In the midst of my family falling apart at the seams, I walked proud with a smile cemented on my face. I constantly heard, “What can I do to help? Do you need anything? It’ll all be okay.” But it didn’t feel okay, everything hurt. I felt lost, sad, and lonely. I reached a breaking point, and lifted my head off the ground and saw the light. I actually had all I needed to survive. My family. My mom. My sister. My friends. I have a roof over my head. Food in my pantry. A warm bed to come home to. I have everything I could ever need, and then some; this I believe.

Smiling is easy. Smiling with your soul, and letting it seep out onto your face is the challenge. Hard times exist. I’ve hit rock bottom. I’ve survived the pain of a broken heart. I’ve experienced death of a loved one, and of an enemy. At a young age, I was taken advantage of by a man, with whom I trusted, and still do trust, with my life. I carried the burden of the pain for the majority of my life. But each day, I look in the mirror and I see a young woman who’s been to hell and back, and is following the light to redemption. I know I’m strong. I know I will persevere and come out on top. The pain and hurt I’ve seen, can’t bring me down, and it won’t bring you down either; this I believe.

Yeah, life is tough sometimes, and things may not go as we plan. But life goes on. I’m a teenage girl. Somewhat typical, yet unique. Who am I? What makes me different? I am an artist. A listener. Victim. Writer. Lover. Teacher. Self conscious and stubborn. My home life isn’t amazing, but it works. I fight with my best friends, but we fit. Look at the good instead of the bad. There’s always a little light in a dark room, you just have to let your eyes adjust; this I believe.