Sean - Lake Oswego, Oregon

Sean Maguire

6280 Summer Woods

Lake Oswego, OR 97035

maguire@q.com

(479 Words) This I Believe

Lying tears us apart, the same way someone might tear a failed test cleanly in two. There are few things more valuable than trust, and there are few things harder to regain than trust. Without trust, nothing would ever go right for anybody. I believe in always telling the truth. In these situations people lost their trust with me, because they made the wrong choice to lie to me.

On Wednesday afternoon my ten-year-old sister came up to me and said, “May I watch the T.V. for a while?” I then asked her if she had completed her homework. She told me that she had finished, so I let her watch television. Later when mom got home, she asked her the same question my sister told her that she still had homework to do. I have not permitted her to watch T.V. on school days when mom isn’t home since, unless I see the finished work. If it weren’t for this choice, my sister wouldn’t be stuck with this inconvenience.

I showed up at a scout meeting one day, and someone told me, “I finally finished cleaning out my supply box.” I told them to put it into the closet. When it was time again for the next camping trip they open their box, it was a mess. It had a rancid smell, and all of the plates had spaghetti sauce cemented to them. The mugs had hot chocolate clumped up inside of them, since I am in charge of all of the boxes. I now had a huge issue since somebody else lied to me. I have not left for a trip, until I have seen all of the boxes clean again.

There have been times when I could have taken the convenience of lying, however I chose not to. I was camping with some friends one morning; I went to our truck and looked for the muffins. I couldn’t find them anywhere, so I went over to the door of the car and knocked. When dad opened it I said, “Have you seen our muffins.” He hadn’t seen them. He told me that I could take 1 muffin for each of us out of his. When everyone found out that they only got one muffin, they were frustrated. I could have lied, and told them that that was all that the store had left. But I said, “I left the muffins at home, so these are the adults muffins.” They weren’t happy with me, however I didn’t lie.

If we could find easier ways to avoid lying, then we would get much farther in life, for ourselves, and each other. If we valued trust in a more meaningful way, we would never be reluctant to rely on each other for different tasks.