Fernando - Humble, Texas

I believe in getting prepared for the future is a true duty for every person, and a shared duty for the chosen leades of our communities and nation. I don’t believe in improvisation or doing things in the last minute trying to resolve problems that should have been anticipated.

When we diligently start to get prepared in our school years by our parents and teachers, the first seed four our preparedness is thrown. Most of the time, the seed falls in good soil, and we, still under help and guidance, find our way to a college education and obtain a degree. At that time we have an aim, and we are getting prepared for it. When we get our goal, we don’t stop there. New aims arise, and we get prepare for them. New family come, and we get prepared to provide them with a good education besides the love that they need, and we start to save for them to provide them with this good education, and we also get prepared not to leave them unprotected in case something happen to us that does not allow us to help our families any longer. It seems a logical sequence. And we have been doing it for generations.

In the community setting, call it city or nation, or now the global community, it works in similar way. But it lacks the blood connection. It is not family, but community. So different interests interfere, and we do not always get prepared as we do it for our children.

I would like to see our community leaders, chosen for us, getting prepared in every aspect for the future. In many aspects preparedness is happening, but in others is surprisingly missing. We and our leaders know about energy crisis with unstopable oil prices. We also know about enviromental problems created for the excesive use of oil products, even when many still deny or close their eyes to this growing problem. And we as individuals and leaders do very little to prepare for it. There are isolated and not powerful attempts to get prepared for it. We keep buying humongous cars, and keep the policy one car-one passenger. I would like to see a high luxury tax started for ownership of gas-thirsty vehicles. We don’t see any attempts to make massive transportation something viable. I would like to see every major city of the country to start a construction for electric trains to every major suburban area that surrounds the city. In our Houston, the wasted HOV lanes are there, to start a massive program of electric train transportation that would really work. We, individuals and leaders, should not wait to leave a expected major problem for the next generation to improvise solutions.

In the present times of abundance of communications, I don’t find a better way to make my voice heard than this idealistic column. I believe in getting prepared for the future. I don’t believe in doing things when the problem has exploted. And I expect to have a concrete plan for massive public transportation started first in our city of Houston, and then spread to the nation.